Sunday, May 20, 2007

28 Weeks Later > Shrek the Third

So this week I went to see 28 Weeks Later and Shrek the Third. The first movie I watched was Shrek with some friends, and today I watched 28WL with my girlfriend. Needless to say STT was a butt sore. If I could find the review I wanted to post, I'd link it, but alas there are too many reviews for me to sift through. Oh well, on with my Shrek review and then 28WL thoughts.

The movie flat out had no direction. I felt like leaving the theater and kept on wanting the movie to be over as soon as possible. Honestly I've had enough of the pop referenced bullshit humor. How old is, "Oh no you didn't!" Did they really think they'd get away with it? Oh before I go any further, I need to say something that went on in the theater. It's not a big deal but just a small side comment. Right when the movie started, I turned to my friend and said, "Do you think the animation is going to suck?" My reasoning for this? I just don't like the animation in the Shrek movies. It just doesn't pace very well. In any case, some guy behind me said, "Mmm the animation looks good!", a bit into the movie. When my ears received that comment I proceeded to roll my eyes. But anyway, back to the review.

I read one critc's take on the film and he stated that there was "high-brow" humor. Wow, really? If you think that's high-brow humor, then I feel sorry for you, friend(not!). There were jokes that were funny to me, but not a whole lot. For example, when the audience laughed, I felt obligated to laugh. Although it was the sort of half-assed chuckle that ended as fast as it came. The story was just poorly written. At the end of the day, I felt gypped. Seriously Dreamworks, what were you thinking?

Besides that though, the visuals were amazing. During the King's funeral, the lighting was pretty spot on, and not I'm not spoiling anything because all of what I'm saying can be seen in the trailer, booyah! There's not many positive things I can say about Shrek the Third, but I will say save your money for and rent it.

Onward to 28 Weeks Later! This movie was brilliant, I loved it. The soundtrack, the direction, all of it. Although there were some parts of the movie that felt disorienting, but I think that's how the director wanted to make it feel, to show the sense of hysteria in the air during that time. All in all a great movie to watch in the theaters. There was a guy sitting next to me and my girlfriend that kept of shouting out things like, "Oh shit!", "What the fuck?!" It was pretty funny, but I tend to not like people shouting things out in theaters. In this case though, I let it slide.

-Cd

No comments: